Since 2017, the EFAD has set up a working group dedicated to the exchange of information and best practices in the area of gender balance.
It was initially chaired by Anna Serner, CEO of the Swedish Film Institute who has been initiating and leading on the campaign 50/50 by 2020. Iris Zappe-Heller (Deputy Director of the Austrian Film Institute) took over as chairwoman of the working group in December 2021.
Over the last years, EFAD members have launched a wide range of initiatives including:
- Regular gender data collection and reporting;
- Parity in selection committees, festivals and awareness about gender bias;
- Adjustments of film support schemes: gender bonus, additional points or new eligibility or award criteria, larger amount of aid distributed, use of the Bechdel test…;
- Specific schemes to support women projects;
- Support to national and European associations for gender equality.
At European level, the group has advocated in favour of the establishment of European statistics by the European Audiovisual Observatory, adjustments in the MEDIA programme schemes and for a more comprehensive European Gender strategy in the audiovisual sector. It also contributed in several networks’ discussions and reports, disseminating the best practices and ensuring a constant dialogue with European industry stakeholders.
In Berlin in February 2020, EFAD members requested the Working Group scope to be enlarged to diversity issues. The new Gender and Inclusion Working Group will therefore focus on the promotion of gender equality as well as wider aspects of diversity and inclusion.
Its missions are the following:
- encouraging EFAD members to help the industry finding solutions so that every voice is well included in the potential talent base, telling stories, making decisions;
- exchanging and promoting best practices between EFAD members;
- preparing common messages on gender and diversity issues towards the European institutions.
European Audiovisual Observatory reports
- Female professionals in European film production, European Audiovisual Observatory publication (December 2021)
- Female audiovisual professionals in European TV fiction production, European Audiovisual Observatory publication (July 2021)
- Female directors and screenwriters in European film and audiovisual fiction production, European Audiovisual Observatory publication (July 2020)
- Examples of Film Funds initiatives in the 2019 Key Trends of the European Audiovisual Observatory (page 16)
Other European studies
- Lab des Femmes Study on the place of women directors in Europe. The 2021 update focuses on an exclusively qualitative approach, analysing the parity policies in the audiovisual sector implemented in the 38 countries covered by the study. It was carried out in collaboration with EFAD and its members.
- EURIMAGES third Strategy for gender equality in the European film industry, for 2021-2023 (December 2020)
- Achieving gender equality and promoting diversity in the European audiovisual sector – Good practice Handbook, Uni-MEI (June 2020)
- Report on Gender Balance in the Cultural and Creative Sectors, Voices of Culture (February 2020)
- Women on the move - European Commission overview of good practices (May 2019)
- Women in European cinema: where do we stand exactly? online event on 16 December 2021, organised by the Lab Femmes de Cinema in Les Arcs Film Festival, in partnership with EFAD, the European Women’s Audiovisual Network (EWA Network), and UNI Europa - Media, Entertainment & Arts (EUROMEI). Video
- Debate: "50/50 by 2020 – Are We There & What Is Next?" on 11 December 2020 organised by Uni-Mei and EWA in partnership with EFAD and Cineuropa. Video and Summary Report
National reports and studies
- Belgium (Wallonia) - Study on diversity in Belgian films in 2019 (in French).
- CNC report about the role of women in the film and audiovisual industry, in French (March 2021).
- CNC report about the role of women in the film and audiovisual industry (in French, 2019).
- Spain - Report on diversity in Spain’s audiovisual creation (in Spanish, 2019)
- "Which Women?": the 2019/2020 Gender Equality Report of the Swedish Film Institute, that includes an intersectional perspective on gender, age and racialisation mechanisms in the Swedish film and TV industry (January 2021).
- The Money Issue – Gender Equality Report of the Swedish Film Institute (2018)
- Looking back and moving forward - Gender Equality Report of the Swedish Film Institute (2017)
- Switzerland - Study on diversity in Swiss feature films 2017-2019, in French (November 2020).
- Platform of the Swiss Women’s Audiovisual Network (SWAN): https://www.swanassociation.ch/directory
- Austrian female professionals: https://pool.fc-gloria.at/
News & Publications about Gender